Monday, October 22, 2007

Justice - A beginning...

My passion for justice began when I became aware of the issue of child sexual exploitation. There are girls and boys being treated in unthinkable ways around the world. This summer I was able to meet some of the girls in Cambodia who have been freed from such modern day slavery. An experience that has forever touched my heart, and changed my perspective.

After recently sitting in a room full of people talking about justice issues, I began to think about my growing passion for justice. There were many ideas and suggestions about how we can seek justice both locally and internationally. One of the challenges I haven't really thought much about is that of what we purchase. Not many people stop to think how the things they are purchasing affect the people who help make the products around the world. I look at the shirt I own that says "made in Cambodia". Having been to Cambodia and driven past many factories that make clothing, I wonder how those factories treat their employees, and about the person that made that shirt - how old were they? how much were they paid? how were they treated? I desire to investigate companies and organizations that make positive attempts in areas of social justice. By doing this, my hope is that I will be able to spend my money more intentionally, but also help equip others to do the same. It's not just how we spend our money either. There are simple things we can do that can make a world of difference. I hope to share some of those ideas through this blog as well.

In the past I haven't been big on blogging, but I realized if I can write about my encounters with practical ways to affect change, others might be encouraged to do the same. There are so many different justice issues, so I look forward to exploring different ways we can effect change!

No comments: