Friday, November 9, 2007

How Far Can a Smile Go?

Tonight was a cold and damp night, one of the first snowfalls now coming down as rain. As I stood in line, I spotted a man. He was seated on the ground with a ratty cardboard sign to accompany his requests for money to be placed in his empty coffee cup. I saw numerous people pass by without even a glance, as if he wasn't there. As it came my turn, I simply looked him in the eyes and smiled. He beamed back a smile and said he hoped I had a good night and enjoyed the show. The interesting thing is he didn't ask me for a thing, yet responded as if I had filled his cup.

There are many ways that we can help the poor or vulnerable. We can give change, perhaps buy them a coffee or a hot meal. Keep granola bars, or bottled water in your bag or trunk to share with someone who might need it. You can also give them your time, talk to them, or at the very least acknowledge them as a person. Give them respect, and smile. This is something I have begun to realize the importance of. It was also reinforced upon hearing the story of 2 guys in the USA who spent 5 months living on the streets in 6 American cities to really understand what it is like to not have a home, living on the streets with nothing but the pack on their back. One of them shared at a conference I was at recently. He shared how people living on the streets really do begin to feel dejected as people walk past, pretending they aren't sitting there. You can read more about their experience at http://www.undertheoverpass.com/.

As I left the show to head home, he remained in his seat. Again as I passed I smiled, and his face had an instant recognition as if we were friends. He asked if I enjoyed the show, and I responded that I had, and we greeted each other goodnight. I won't necessarily know how our interaction will affect this man, but I hope it gave him a little bit of light in his day. At least once today, maybe even this week or month, someone took the time to acknowledge him as a person.

I encourage you, please acknowledge the poor and vulnerable - whether it is someone you encounter on the streets, someone you see at work or school that is down, lonely, or rejected. Even if it is just a smile, your smile may be the first smile they've seen all day.

No comments: